Thursday, August 03, 2006

XXIII - ADSL, ATMs and 7-Elevens

Bangkok again. Back to civilisation at last!

I crossed the border yesterday at Koh Kong after a mission of a ferry ride. The night before departure involving a bit of a p1ss up at a bar run by a French expat. This young brit came in who is easily the most irritating person I've ever met. Was quite amusing to me actually as I sat there, pen in hand, reviving my flagging muse. I don't think he said a single sentence that wasn't a celebration of his great knowledge. He complained about the lack of good wine in Cambodia so of course, the barman (being French) got him some really good Bordeaux which he agreed was very fine (being a connoisseur of course) then whined about the price. Myself, like any Kiwi was quite happy chugging back 3000r (75c) handles of Angkor Draft which is actually a rather worthy beer, not unlike Tui. None of the formaldehyde and other toxic substances found in Thai beer.

Anyway, I was rather pleased that I didn't have a hangover. All was well getting to the ferry. I jumped up onto the roof with my fellow travellers and the freight which is the pick of locations. Its stuffy and claustrophobic inside the cabin. There were pigs and chickens coming along for the ride too. The sun was shining and I did some sunbathing for a while. Then slowly the clouds came over, then the wind got up.... then the sea got rougher and the rain came down so I headed into the cabin. Bad move. The nausea grew and grew so I dug some Sea Legs out of my pack which were probably 10 years old. This didn't cure my nausea but it gave my arms a crazy pins and needles sensation. So that's why they have expiry dates... The dude wouldn't let me out the door but I opened it anyway for fresh air then he left his post so I went out and sprawled on the narrow gangway, clinging to the rail as the wind howled and waves crashed about but it was a lot more pleasant than inside. After a while it settled down a bit so I jumped back on the roof where this old pommy character was still hanging out. This was definitely the place to be for the remainder of the 5 hour journey. The options being, sit in side where its warm and feel sick, or lie down up top where its really cold and feel fine. There was a nasty looking storm further out to sea but thankfully it stayed out there, the boats are long narrow affairs more designed for river runs than tackling the ocean. In Koh Kong there was a restaurant called Kiwi with a large Kiwi symbol on it. I had a Kiwi brand knife too incidentally, it too had a symbol of a flightless bird but was made in Thailand.

A moto ride to the border, then a 1 hour minibus ride took us to Trat. A large and rather neat Thai town. I've been impressed with the standard of the Thai urban environment actually. Most of them have nicely paved roads and tidy gutters. Department stores, supermarkets, Internet cafes. Its all very developed. All very western but with traditional markets too. I went for a stroll through the morning market. There was all sorts of interesting seafood there, still flapping or scuttling about. Fish, eels, squid, crabs, prawns... all sorts. I managed to procure myself some tasty noodle soup. There was no signage and the old woman spoke no English but she pointed to some noodles and I nodded and a couple of minutes later I had a really tasty pork noodle soup. My guesthouse even had a warm shower. My first warm shower in more than 2 months and it was bliss! Just as well, it was too fkn cold for a cold one. I don't know why but for some reason it wasn't very warm at all along the south coast. I actually put my polyprop on one evening.

Who ever invited Skype should be lynched! Some European twat just walked in, called out loudly "do you have Skype" then proceeded to yell at the top of his lungs into the microphone. The staff have told the arrogant $%^& off twice now. Now where did I leave that AK47! : )

Here are some ramblings from Sihanoukville I didn't get around to sending.

Sihanoukville is Cambodia's leading resort and only port. Its not all that but its ok. Actually I haven't looked at much of it, don't really feel the need. Its raining today as I sit in an Internet cafe which is actually a thatched hut. Half a dozen cows just walked past the door. Yesterday, I chilled out at the beach on a bamboo recliner as a lad of maybe 7 served me beer Laos. A worthy lager if ever there was. There was a few old Europeans fullas about with their half Asian preschoolers. I started to pass judgement then thought hmm.. that could be me, although highly unlikely. Heh, 'what shall I do with my retirement? umm... I know, I'll have a family!" A lot of the Cambodian women are rather attractive, there is a bit of Indian ancestry here in some of them, although they all start to look a bit tired as they age. The pressure of all that subservience mayhaps?
I have a nice room with bathroom and a sea view for $3, cant argue with that! Gets a good view of the sunset. There are a few islands off shore to look at too. It appears to be the best room in the hotel. The benefits of travelling the off season.
Well, its now the next day and its still raining, heavily at the moment I might add. I still have time to catch the fast boat to the Thai border today but I have a morbid fascination with being at the beach in the rain. And better to be on the land than out on the open sea me thinks.
Some um, Greek, has changed MSN Messenger to Greek and as I cant read Greek I can't change it back. How amusing. I recall having the same problem when I changed my mobile to German for a lark and then couldn't send texts cos T9 would change the word to things like achtung and shizer. Yes, I am rambling on as its raining and I have nothing better to do.
There is now a swift flowing river outside where the street used to be carrying large stones with it toward the sea. Its really cold, well I feel cold and the chick that runs the cafe is shivering although the BBC reckons its 25 degrees here at the moment. I must have finally acclimatised.

I was going to write a dissemination on Cambodia but I shall let the experience digest for a couple of days.

No comments: