Friday, July 28, 2006

Part XXI - Happiness is an AK47

The sound of an AK47 is impressive to say the least. I might say awe inspiring even. It is certainly a lot of fun when I'm doing the toting whilst pulling the trigger with glee! I see why there is so much warfare in the world. Firing an assult rifle in full auto is fun. Mr Kalashnikov must be so proud of his invention! I'm sure it's very difficult explaing to ill-educated and oppressed villagers that this is not a good solution to their problems.

So heres the tale... I was fanging around the countryside on a rented motorbike near the Thai border when I ran into a group of former Khmer Rouge militiamen. I wasn't much of a lucrative target however, being in possesion of only a few dollars. I got talking to one of the fullas and as I expressed an interest in their ways he decided to take me on their rounds. This was a fun filled day of border skirmishes with the thai army and a bit of looting and pillaging....


Well, heres what actually transpired...

A local guide took me out to a dodgy gun shootin' place on the outskirts of Phnom Penh. They had a range of activities to satisfy even the most inbread of hillbilly rednecks. Got a spare 200USD and you can fire a soviet made RPG, taleban styles... Can toss a grenade or get cracking on a heavy machinegun if that does it for you. I settled for a lash with the AK, followed by a few 9mm pistol rounds for dessert. After a couple of shots in semi-auto it was on to a full auto assault until there was so much dust in the air I couldnt even see the target anymore. On observation, the target was toast, having around 22 rounds in his torso. It wasn't exactly the most accurate grouping ever seen but who cares when you can just keep banging away until you hit something. After the AK, the decrepit old pistol didn't have much of a show, it jammed constantly and my arm was still wavering from the adrenaline rush.


Khmer Rouge victims at Cheong Ek

Following that, we headed to the Cheong Ek killing fields. They have a large monument full of skulls dug up from the region. Saw the tree they used to beat children against. Then off to the Khmer Rouge S21 detention centre. Thousands of people were tortured and killed at this former primary school. Theres still an awful energy residing in one of the blocks there which I hastily vacated. There are photos of many of the victims. The Khmer Rouge took meticulous records of their attrocities. The guards at the prison were children of 10 - 15, educated at an early age to be really sadistic torturers. There are some seriously horrific photos in there. Can't see how anyone could get off on such activties myself. Remove ones oppressor with an AK yes, but beating a shackled teacher or doctor to a bloody pulp? These guys made Auschwitz look humane. Shows how close to the surface the savage still remains I guess. Nah.. savages wouldn't be that perverse.

Some fulla at S21. The book says "Sex with children is illegal" so I surreptitiously took a photo. How could one resist...

Cells at S21. Although the filter on my camera made the colours rather warm, the atmosphere in there is quite the opposite.

The Khmer Rouge were never put on trial for their atrocities.

My 'flu like symptoms' have receeded so I have now vacated Phnom Penn and am out in the sticks at a small town called Kampot. The symptoms are starting to look somewhat like a mild case of malaria.

The road to Kampot was tarsealed but rough as guts and barely wider than one lane so there was lots of tooting and swerving around speeding lorries. The bus passed through a seaside town called Kep which seems to comprise of a lot of abandoned rich mans houses so I shall check that out me thinks. The landscape has changed finally. It was, yet again, flat all the way here but there are some impressive limestone karst formations about. Not quite up there with Krabi but still a welcome change. It is most pleasing to be within the vicinity of the ocean again. I still have an urge to get behind an AK. There are billboards dotted about the place touting disarmament so there is obviously still a lot of weaponry about. Cruising about the country side in the bus I thought it would ne nice to go running off into the wilds... an enjoyable fantasy but fantasy it shall remain on the account of the 6 million landmines still thought to be dotted about the landscape.


My drinking buddy at Angkor Wat

No comments: