Friday, June 30, 2006

Part XIII - Lucky for some

Khaosan Road. Horrid backpackers ghetto that it is.

Confucius say "man who walk through turnstyle sideways..."

Rocked into town at 6am after a 10 hr bus ride and found myself a nice little quiet windowless cell in a cheap concrete guesthouse. Someone had drawn a mural on the wall of my room and the irritating sound of tuk tuks is barely audible.. Can get onto the roof which is an excellent place for Qigong.

The 11 hour bus ride was pretty sweet, had loads of room on a VIP bus that was actually what it was marketed as plus the company of a particularly hot Swedish sociology student. There's been some impressive electrical storms since I got here, one of them was pretty much constant thunder, right overhead for a couple of hours and torrential rain. The thunder didn't rumble, it was more of an eardrum splitting crack.

Stayed there for 2 nights but last night I woke up seeing a creepy looking asian ghost.. well, sleep paralysis styles. Wake up and the image is still there for a while, haven't had that since staying at Cara's mums place... Think I'll paint it. Then someone accidentally burst into my room a little while later, he got the hell fright. "uh... solly" Strange coincidence. Hmm.. So I moved to this awesome old teak building down an alley. The people are friendly and there's just a real nice vibe there, not diminished by the deformed but ever cheerful daughter...

Just been to the Bangkok art gallery which is wicked! They are currently running an exhibition by Israeli photographer Alex Levac and its really good. B&W images of daily life in Israel with a humorous slant, such as; a camel kneeling to a poster of elvis, a woman sunbathing in a bikini outside a high security prison, a worker with his face in the crotch of a female statue. All very amusing... Worth taking a look if it comes to a town near you. (Can someone at Gen-i please flick this to Mr Ginther cos postmaster will probably block it as per usual)...
They also had an impressive exhibition by thai surrealist painter Kiettisak Chanonnart. Well worth looking into, inspiring as he uses some similar ideas as I do but his work is quite different, they were even good enough to be selling a book of his work for a bargain : )

The gallery also comprises of some cool old traditional thai works, some paintings by King Bumipol and that masterpiece of sculpture, "Two stallions licking each others balls" well, that's not what its called but its what it is anyway...

Speaking of Israelis, I found a kebab shop on the way back home, thanks to the abundance of hebs and their inability to consume the local tucker. It was good too, more a pita pocket full of kebab fillings but I wasn't complaining. It was very tasty! Dare I say it, I had a Burger King voucher in my hand at the time which I was going to use. Shame on me! I'll redeem myself tonight with traditional Thai delicacies such as Pad thai and banana pancakes.

No comments: